One of largest multifamily developers in the nation currently has a position opening in the West Region for a Preconstruction Design Project Manager that will participate in projects in California, Oregon and Washington. We are looking for a construction professional that has specific construction, estimating and preconstruction design experience in residential apartment projects.
Preconstruction Design Project Manager Position Description:
The Preconstruction Design Project Manager (Precon Design PM) is responsible for taking the vision and design concept presented by Development and turning it in to a Construction Document. Throughout the design process from Conceptual to Construction drawings the Precon Design PM will manage the design team to stay within budget and design criteria. The Precon Design PM will work/interface with the estimating team, Regional Design Manager, Project Manager (self- performed work), third party General Contractors, Construction Managers and development team.
The Precon Design PM will also assist in the responsibility of requesting proposals from architecture, design consultants and engineering firms and subsequent contractual negotiation.
The Precon Design PM will assist Development with implementing the concept for the potential project while in the conceptual and schematic design phase. During this phase of design, the responsibilities include assisting Development in verifying unit size, unit layout, NRSF calculations, GSF calculations, building efficiency and site layout. The Precon Design PM will also assist the Development team in unit design, building layout and conceptual site planning. The Precon Design PM will provide a project schedule for the design process with milestone dates on required start dates to keep the proposed timeline on track.
After the conceptual and schematic design level phases, the Precon Design PM assumes the lead in the design process from Design Documents through to Construction Documents by implementing the concept derived in the prior design phases. The Precon Design PM will provide the design program for the project at Design Document kickoff and oversee its incorporation into the Construction Documents. The Precon Design PM will lead regularly scheduled design meetings and provide updates to the Preconstruction Manager and Development for all design and cost impacts. The Precon Design PM will ensure that the design team is meeting the design deliverables for each design milestone and that all drawing sheets required are incorporated into the drawing packages.
The Precon Design PM will manage constructability reviews at the 100% Design Development and GMP Construction Drawings to identify design issues that need to be corrected or coordinated prior to issuing drawings for pricing. The Precon Design PM will utilize resources from the Construction department and consultants to aid in the constructability reviews.
The Precon Design PM will possess/utilize a variety of skills and experience including Project Management, general construction, estimating and design.
Position requires travel within California, Oregon and Washington. Candidates will be working extensively with the Preconstruction group located in Irvine California. Preconstruction Design Project Manager Qualifications:
- 10+ years’ experience of construction project management and/or estimating experience.
- Willingness to travel as projects require
- Multifamily construction projects experience
- Experience leading design teams through design completion in multiple city jurisdictions
- Experience obtaining architect and design consultant contracts and negotiations
- Understanding of building construction and design
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, MS Project)
- Experience in construction project estimating • Directing and Supervising Others
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering or another related degree is preferred.
- A solid understanding of the cost implications of various building systems including structural, exterior, MEP, civil, site work, utilities and the ability to value-engineer to budget.
- Proactive problem solver with project-centric goals.
- The ability to effectively communicate throughout a wide team in a fast-paced politically sensitive environment.
- Proven ability to manage design teams to stay within budget and design criteria.
We offer a competitive compensation package with great salaries and bonus program, 401k, sick and vacation time, paid holidays, and other benefits.
Wood Partners an equal opportunity employer. Drug-testing and proof of citizenship or immigration status is a requirement of employment.
To apply please submit a cover letter and a resume.